PDF files are easily sharable because they can be opened on any device, on any platform including macOS. But while opening and reading PDF documents can be very easy, the same cannot be said for editing a document. You will find that you need separate software to make any changes to the document.
If for instance, you wanted to crop a PDF on Mac, you may have a hard time finding the right tool to do it. Even if you can find the right solution, most people find it very difficult to crop a PDF document on Mac. Here, we will be looking at two very effective ways to crop a PDF on Mac.
- Part 1. Why You Need to Crop PDF on Mac
- Part 2. How to Crop a PDF with UPDF
- Part 3. How to Crop a PDF in Preview Mac
Why You Need to Crop PDF on Mac
One of the main reasons why you may need to crop a PDF document is to resize it to prepare it for printing. This is where cropping can help to resize the margins of the document and get it just the right size for the type of printing paper that you intend to use.
Cropping tools can also be an ideal way to re-orient a PDF document, depending on what you would like to use it for. You can use them to crop and rotate a PDF document into a vertical orientation or a landscape layout that may be more ideal for PDFs that you intend to use in a PowerPoint presentation.
Cropping is also one of the best ways to get your PDF and the elements on it to just the right size. They allow you to resize the document or aspects of the document to get the right size depending on the content. For example, you can use various cropping tools to crop the images on the document.
The following is a breakdown of the main reasons you may want to crop a PDF:
- Cropping can help you remove confidential information from a PDF that you'd like to share
- It is also a good way to highlight important aspects of the PDF
- You can also use cropping to divide a PDF into smaller files to make it easier to share.
- It is also a good way to remove any merged paged from a PDF file
Whatever the reason, the following solutions will help you to easily crop a PDF on Mac for free.
How to Crop a PDF on Mac with UPDF
The Best Free Tool to Crop PDF on Mac
Most of the solutions you will find when looking for a way to crop your PDF document are premium tools that are often quite expensive. The cost for these tools may not be justified if the changes you intend to make to the document are minor. Fortunately, there is a revolutionary new PDF editing tool that has all the features you would find on these paid programs available to you for free.
This new product is UPDF, a simple but highly effective PDF editor that can be used to crop a PDF document in various ways. UPDF has numerous tools and features that make it an ideal way to create, edit and manage PDF documents.
These features include the following:
- You can use UPDF to edit the text on the document in a variety of ways. You can add or remove the text or you can change the font style, color, and size of the text as desired.
- You also have the option to change the images on the document. You can add and remove the images or even crop, rotate or move them to the desired location.
- UPDF also gives you the option to make changes to the pages on the document. You can extract PDF pages, reorder and delete them or even add new pages to the existing document.
- It is also one of the most powerful ways to collaborate on a PDF document thanks to its numerous annotation tools. You can use them to highlight, underline and strikethrough text or even add comments, shapes, and textboxes to the document.
Steps to Crop PDF on Mac
There are two situations in that you want to crop a PDF on Mac:
- Situation one: crop the whole PDF page;
- Situation two: crop the image in PDF.
Currently, UPDF supports cropping images in PDF on Mac, but soon it will support cropping a PDF page on Mac. I will introduce how to crop a image in PDF on Mac with UPDF.
Step 1. Open a PDF Dcoument
To crop a PDF on Mac, please open it first. You can click the "Open File" button, or simply darg the PDF into the UPDF interface.
Step 2. Go into the Edit Mode
Now you can click the "Edit" button to enter into the editing mode. This will enable you crop the image in PDF.
Step 3. Crop PDF image on Mac
Now, select the image. You will see there are four icons appear below the image. The second icon is the cropping icon. Click it.
Click-and-drag your mouse to begin cropping the image. You can also set the width and height of the cropping area by entering the numbers.
This is how you crop the image in PDF.
How to Crop a PDF in Preview Mac
Preview is a free Mac tool that can be used to crop PDF files for free. There are two ways to crop a PDF using Preview. Let's look at both solutions.
Method 1 to Crop a PDF in Preview
Step 1: Open the PDF you want to edit in Preview
Step 2: In the toolbar, click on "Tools" and then select "Rectangular Selection" from the options that appear.
Step 3: Use the drag tool to draw out the area that you want to crop. For the best results, you may want to start from the top left.
Step 4: Once the area is selected properly, click on "Tools" and choose "Crop." The file will be cropped and then automatically saved onto your Mac.
Method 2 to Crop PDF in Preview App on Mac
Step 1: Open the PDF in Preview.
Step 2: Select "Show Markup Toolbar" to add this toolbar to Preview.
Step 3: Now click on the "Rectangular Selection" tool and then use the drag tool to make your selection of the area that you want to crop.
Step 4: With the area selected, click "Crop" and you will now be able to save the cropped file onto your Mac.
Conclusion: Cropping a PDF document can be one of the most difficult edits to make especially when you don't have the right tool to do it. Preview can be useful in this regard and it is available for free on your Mac. But if you work with many PDF documents, you may be in need of a more versatile solution like UPDF. With UPDF, you can create PDFs and make changes to all the content on it as you would on a Word Processor and it is completely free to use. It is also so easy to use, there is no learning curve even for beginners.
- How to Open PDF in Chrome
- How to Open Password Protected PDF in 3 Ways
- How to Open Multiple PDFs at Once
- How to Compare PDFs for Free (3 Ways)
- How to Open PDF in InDesign on Mac
- How to Add Bookmarks to PDF
- 10 Best Software for Lawyers to Improve Productivity in 2022
- Exploring the Automation of Audit Trails
- Why OCR is Critical for BFSI (Banking and Financial Services Industry)
- Top 10 Productivity Apps for Mac in 2022