UPDF has stood out as one of the top-popular PDF editors of 2022. In 2023, this PDF editor intends to continue its growth to become one of the best in the market. With its blazing-fast performance combined with high-end features, UPDF provides a wholesome experience of PDF editing at a low price. There are multiple hidden features offered by UPDF that makes it unique in PDF editors.
This article is designed to provide you with some great features of UPDF that you are unaware of. After going through this article, you will learn more about how UPDF enhances and improves your experience with managing PDFs with the help of these hidden features.
16 Hidden Features of UPDF to Increase Your Productivity
We will start the discussion with the intuitive features offered by UPDF that cannot be generally discovered by a user who is new to UPDF. These features will help you diversify the productivity offered by this PDF editor to the users in the market. Go through these hidden features in detail to know how to improve your working methodologies with UPDF:
1. "Space" Hot Key - Turn Cursor to Hand Scrolling
"Space" hotkey: By holding the "Space" key while using UPDF, the cursor turns to a hand for scrolling up, down, left, and right the PDF document.
When you hold the "Space" key on your Windows or Mac while using UPDF, it turns the cursor into a hand. This proves quite helpful in scrolling the window of the PDF document up or down. While you can scroll down the screen easily, this is exceptionally helpful while annotating or editing a PDF file.
As stated, this function is quite helpful for annotating and editing PDF documents. While you stand in the "Comment" or "Edit PDF" mode of UPDF, using the Space hotkey will provide a good backup for avoiding inconvenience. If you are working in the "Comment" tab to highlight something significant within the PDF, you can utilize this feature to prevent unnecessary highlighting of content.
Once you use the hotkey and the hand appears, you can quickly scroll up and down the document without making any unwanted changes. Additionally, this turns out to be equally helpful when editing PDF documents on UPDF. To avoid selecting and editing any text on the PDF, you can take help from this hot key and improve your productivity by easily scrolling through the document.
Steps to Use CTRL/Command Hotkey to Zoom in and Out
- Step 1: Open a PDF document and navigate to the point where you wish to read something. As you access the point, hold the "CTRL" key on your Windows or the "Command" key on your Mac.
- Step 2: With your two fingers, scroll up or down on the trackpad or use the "Wheel" on your mouse. This will zoom in or out of the document, respectively.
2. "CTRL/Command" Hot Key - Zoom In and Out of a PDF
"CTRL/Command" hotkey: Hold the CTRL or Command key for zooming in and out of a PDF document.
Another helpful feature UPDF offers its users is the effective zoom in and out within the PDF document. Rather than looking for the "Zoom" button, you can easily zoom in and out of a document with the help of the "CTRL/Command" hotkey. While Windows users have the "CTRL" button and the Mac users utilize the "Command" key, they can zoom through a file.
In multiple cases, users can take the help of their mouse or trackpad in the process. While you hold the "CTRL/Command" key, use the mouse scrolling button or two fingers on the trackpad and scroll it up and down to zoom in and out of the document. While annotating or editing a document, this is a helpful feature to work with.
At times, it comes to this that the text is too small to read and needs to be zoomed in. Rather than changing anything unwanted in the document, you can use this hotkey to avoid all issues.
Steps to Use "Alt/Option" Hotkey For Adding Text Boxes
- Step 1: With an opened PDF, access the "Edit PDF" mode for editing it. Hold the "ALT" key on your Window and the "Option" key on your Mac while editing the PDF.
- Step 2: Since you are in the "Edit PDF" mode, a text box will be automatically added to the PDF while you are working if you hold the "ALT/Option" key.
3. "Alt/Option" Hot Key - Add Another Text Box to the Current One
"Alt/Option" hotkey: Add another text box while editing a text box without using the direct option in the PDF document by pressing the "Alt/Option" hotkey.
While editing a text box on a PDF document, you might need to add another text box to it. Instead of going to the toolbar in the respective section, you can utilize a special hotkey developed to add a new text box to the PDF document. Using the "ALT" key on Windows and the "Option" key on Mac will allow you to add a text box on the PDF without going into the section.
This process can help you save a lot of time in executing the option of adding text boxes in the PDF file. If you are sitting in the editing panel and cannot click the icon on top of the bar, this hot key serves a great purpose.
Steps to Use "Alt/Option" Hotkey For Adding Text Boxes
- Step 1: As a PDF document is opened with a text box being edited, you need to press the "ALT" key on your Windows or the "Option" key on your Mac while editing the text box.
- Step 2: A text box will be automatically added to the PDF document in the current text box without accessing the panel.
4. Right-Click Quick Options
Right-Click options: Take the help of different options available for controlling the margin and orientation of the document by right-clicking on the file.
Many functions can be performed using UPDF, which does not involve editing PDF files only. Although the tool comes up with exceptional tools and functions, it also provides quick accessibility. This can be achieved with the help of the "right-click of the mouse." While it sounds simple, many functions can be accessed through this quick function.
If you have received a file with a load of comments attached, you will have to remove them to restore the outlook of the PDF. For this purpose, you can right-click on the document and use the "Select All Comments" option to select the comments and continue with any function you want. Rather than going into the "Organize PDF" tab and rotating your PDF files, you can access the rotation options from the right-click drop-down menu.
There are several other options available within this section. While you can set the page display to show it according to the needs of the viewers, you can also fit or set the page aspect size with the quick options available on the menu. This gives you the leverage to manage the margins of your PDF document without putting up any complications. You can also easily save the document through the right-click options displayed against the menu.
For more convenient details, you can observe the document properties and open the folder's location in File Explorer through the direct option. Such diversity cannot be observed in a random PDF editor, making UPDF a unique tool.
How to Organize Documents with the Right-Click Options
- As you have a PDF document opened, right-click on it and continue with the options. You can use the "Select All Comments" option to select all comments made on the PDF.
- For setting the orientation of the PDF, use the "Rotate Clockwise" or "Rotate Counterclockwise" options. To define the "Page Display" properties, utilize any option available from the pop-up menu that appears against it.
- Use any option out of "Fit Page," "Actual Size," "Fit Width," and "Fit Height" to fit the display of the PDF file. Select "Save As" to save the PDF as a new document, and use the "Print" option if you wish to take a print of the PDF file.
- If you intend to open the PDF in its location, select "Show in Folder" to access the location of the PDF. To know more about the PDF, use the "Document Properties" option to access its details.
5. Double-Click the Left Button of the Mouse (Mac Only)
Double-click the left button of the mouse: If you want to zoom in or out of a PDF document, you can do it by just double-clicking the left button of the mouse on Mac.
Mac users can also have another option to manage their PDF files' zooming properties. This can be easily achieved with the help of the left button of the mouse on the Mac. You have to put the cursor on the document and double-click using the left button to zoom in and out almost 100% or 200% of the document. This feature might sound pretty obvious or essential to you, but it helps you in places you've never thought of.
This hidden feature on UPDF allows you to quickly read out something important that cannot be observed or read on the document. Instead of finding the option of zooming in on the document, you can perform this task within seconds. It gets pretty effective when you are trying to improve your work productivity.
Steps to Zoom Into Documents Using the Left Button on Mac
- Step 1: Open a PDF document on your Mac with the "Open File" button.
- Step 2: As you double-click on a specific part of the PDF, it zooms in 100% or 200% to help you see the content easily. Double-click again to zoom out of the PDF document into the original size.
6. Double-Click to Add Comments Continuously
Add comments continuously: Double-click on the comment tools to turn on the continuous mode of adding comments and markups on the PDF document
There are multiple instances where you can check a PDF document submitted by your subordinate. If this is the case, you will require something proper to critically analyze the submitted file. Although UPDF allows annotating the document properly with the help of comments, it makes commenting quite simple and accurate.
UPDF comes with a unique system of adding comments continuously under its hidden feature. This quick operation allows the user to add comments to PDF without wasting time going through menus again and again. The feature turns out quite helpful in situations where you have to add multiple comments in no time. You will be able to annotate and write down the problems in the PDF document submitted to you with this hidden function.
There are two different situations that are associated with this function.
- If the user selects the option of "Keep the comment tools selected" in the Preferences, the continuous mode is turned on, allowing them to add markups continuously to the document.
- However, if the "Don't keep the comment tools selected" option has been configured, the user will have to double-click the tool to keep the tools selected.
Adding multiple comments continuously with a double-click on the PDF saves you quite some time. This proactive function offered by UPDF makes operations effective to handle.
How to Add Comments Continuously
- Step 1: Launch UPDF and open the document that you wish to add comments on.
- Step 2: In the window that opens, proceed to the "Comment" tab on the left panel. Proceed to select any markup tool that you want to add. While selecting the markup tool, if you double-click on it, it will be turned into continuous mode, after which you can add the markup continuously.
7. "Shift" Hot Key - Draw Proportional Shapes
"Shift" hotkey: Hold the Shift key for drawing proportional shapes on the PDF document for drawing with symmetry.
Looking for a quick edit of your PDF document with some shapes that can be filled out with content and made interactive? UPDF covers all these needs in such an elegant fashion that the user is not required to shift anywhere else. However, what if the user needs to draw a symmetrical shape with equal dimensions? This PDF editor has made this possible with the help of its hidden feature.
Windows and Mac users can easily draw proportional shapes with UPDF on their PDF documents with the help of the "Shift" button. This quick feature allows the user to draw equal shapes regardless of what is selected in the options. The ability to perform such a task gives exceptional leverage to the user in making suitable shapes with no irregularities. You will provide the reader with some clean work on the PDF document that can never be determined as a "PDF tool's work."
How to Use the "Shift" hotkey for Drawing Shapes
- Step 1: Lead to the "Comment" tab on the left and select the "Shapes" option from the top bar. Set the appropriate shape and its properties from the menu that appears.
- Step 2: As you try to draw a shape on the PDF, hold the "Shift" key while drawing it. This will draw a proportional shape on your PDF document.
8. "Option" Hot Key - Hold to Auto-Align Elements (Mac Only)
"Option" hotkey: Use the "Option" key to auto-align the elements included in the PDF document while annotating or editing it.
Have you been adding some important inscriptions to the PDF document you are checking lately? Although there are many annotation tools to work with, you might have to align and control them to effectively put them in their places. While editing and annotating a document, it might be possible that you have accidentally inserted multiple elements on the file under the same position.
If this is the case and you've accidentally added some elements in a single place, they can be handled through auto-aligning. Though it does not sound good to you in the first place, it can be a great hidden feature to work with. As you utilize the "Option" key and hold it down while editing the PDF document, the elements added to the file will auto-align.
As they auto-align against the central margin of the PDF file, you will observe them and will be able to control these elements again properly. Furthermore, if you seek to align all the added content on the PDF for any particular purpose, you won't require manual alignment techniques. With UPDF, this becomes a matter of a few seconds to cover.
How to Use the "Option" hotkey on Mac
- Step 1: As you have edited the PDF document with multiple annotations and shapes, hold the "Option" key on your Mac.
- Step 2: Once you try to adjust a particular element with your trackpad or mouse, it automatically central aligns the document onto it.
9. Crop Multiple Pages By Setting Page Ranges For Efficiency
Crop multiple pages: Set the page range of the PDF document for cropping multiple pages to make things more efficient.
PDF cropping is a complete function available on UPDF for users looking to adjust the margins and outline of their PDF documents. Under such progressive functionality, this esteemed function can provide multiple opportunities for users to crop down the unnecessary margins of the PDF document and make it look presentable.
The world has changed, and so is the way people present their documents. As you have to provide PDF versions of every important document created in your professional field, you will find the need to crop the PDF document in multiple places to cast out unwanted white spaces, informal content, or other unprofessional inscriptions. To avoid this, UPDF features the cropping tool; however, this tool comes with an excellent and unique function for managing multiple pages simultaneously.
Where you cannot crop a collection of pages in a single instant, UPDF gives the ability to handle multiple pages to make a user's work productive. It comes with an "Apply Changes" button in the Crop Pages section that can be accessed and given the range of the pages where you want to apply the cropping options selected before. This saves you a lot of time setting a proper dimension of the PDF document you are willing to submit to your boss.
How to Crop Multiple Pages Using UPDF
- Step 1: With the PDF opened on UPDF, select the "Crop Pages" option from the left panel. To open the cropping panel, click the "Options" button.
- Step 2: Define the margins on the right panel or manually adjust it using the rectangular box on the page. To apply the crop settings, select the "Apply Changes" button on the top-left of the screen.
- Step 3: For cropping multiple pages, set the range in the "Page Range" section or use the "Odd or Even Pages" option on the menu. Continue to click the "Crop" button on the right side of the screen to conclude.
10. Multi-Language Header & Footer
Multi-language header & footer: Set different formats of dates and page numbers along with multiple languages of your header and footer according to your need.
Microsoft Word is a very restrictive tool when it comes to creating and editing headers & footers on a document. UPDF has changed the narrative of adding headers and footers in the PDF document with diverse features and options. Adding headers and footers with multiple languages and formats of date and pages is possible with UPDF.
As you turn to add a header and footer to your PDF file, you can discover the hidden features available in the "Header & Footer" section. The availability of these features gives you the ability to include a multi-language approach to designing this element in PDF files. If you submit a document containing a specific format to follow, this can be a great and quick option to work with.
Rather than creating everything from scratch, you can take the help of the features provided by UPDF in their "Header & Footer" section. It includes the "Page Number Format" option, which can be easily used to select the format according to the multi-language document that you will be using. The process is literally a few clicks away, which can be achieved by choosing the format of your choice.
How to Use Multi-language Header & Footer on UPDF
- Step 1: To add a header and footer on UPDF, open the PDF document and continue to the "Page Tools" tab on the left. Select "Header & Footer" from the top to continue with adding the particular element.
- Step 2: Proceed to the "Add" button on the bottom right to define the options. As you set the layout and write the content for the header & footer, there are other options that help you make your header & footer look multi-language.
- Step 3: Find the Content section on the right panel to select your respective option according to the language you are dealing with. This section gives 12 different options of languages to select from in the drop-down menu. Click the "Save" button to proceed with saving the header & footer template for your PDF.
11. Diverse Conversion Layout Options
Conversion layout options: Take the help of the different conversion layout options for specifying the extent of quality that is to be sustained in the document after conversion.
There are multiple options available on UPDF that other PDF editors in the market do not offer. While we have been discussing some tremendous quick functions and hidden features offered by UPDF, we will continue to look into an exceptionally unique feature offered to users while converting PDF files. UPDF serves as a haven for converting PDF files into different formats, making the documents accessible to users in different ways.
While you can take help from the conversion feature provided by UPDF, it has a great set of layout options in the hidden features. This option cannot be discovered in the front; however, this turns out to be a great hidden feature offered by UPDF that can help users control the layout of the PDF document they are converting. As you turn to convert your PDF file into any other format, you can access the "Gear" icon for observing and selecting the appropriate layout options.
UPDF features three different layout options while converting documents to its users:
- Retain Flowing Text: Retain and recover the page layout as it is, along with the graphics, formatting, and text of the content.
- Retain Page Layout: Detects the layouts and recovers the formatting, graphics, and text of the PDF document.
- Exact Reconstruction: Retains everything of the document as the document is present, with no changes.
The accessibility to such layout options provides the users with some progressive connections to operate with. UPDF is showing itself as a haven of such impressive features, which provide value and can serve a great purpose in situations where you submit PDF files in other formats. Rather than losing the quality and formatting of the PDF file, such options can help you preserve them in a few clicks.
How to Set Conversion Layouts While Converting PDFs
- Step 1: Open a PDF that is to be converted and select the "Export PDF" button on the right. Select a format from the file types to convert the PDF and let a window open on the screen.
- Step 2: With the window opened, find a gear icon adjacent to the "Output Format" section. You can checkmark any of the layout options under which you want to convert the document.
- Step 3: Continue with the other options and tap the "Export" option to convert the document into the required file format successfully.
12. OCR Layouts Offered to Control Document Editing Capabilities
OCR Document Layouts: Take the help of the different layouts to define the extent to which you want to convert the scanned PDF document to an editable and searchable file.
OCR PDF function has taken the market trends and made a mark on the users for many reasons. While this feature allows users to convert scanned PDF documents to editable and searchable text, UPDF has joined the race in providing quick and elegant options for performing OCR on a PDF document. What if you require to perform an OCR where you want to make the text only searchable?
If this is the case, UPDF features three hidden layout options while performing the OCR function on a PDF document. While the user can select the option according to their need, this requires a few seconds to cover. Such a hidden feature cannot be found in any other PDF editor, making UPDF a superior choice to work with. Look into these three layout options to understand more about them:
- Text under the page image: If you wish to convert the PDF document into a searchable document, you can have the "Text under the page image" layout option. This will put the text under the image layer, making it non-editable yet searchable.
- Text over the page image: If you wish to retain the quality and integrity of the scanned PDF file and its layout, you can have the "Text over the page image" layout option. This puts the text over the image layer and retains the image layer too. The file size under this option remains near the original size.
- Text and pictures only: To convert a scanned PDF file as text and images with no preserved formatting and small size document, you can include the "Text and pictures only" as your OCR layout option. This takes out all the text and images and makes them editable and searchable for the user.
How to Use OCR Layouts for Converting Scanned PDFs to Editable and Searchable Files
- Step 1: Launch UPDF and open the respective PDF file with the "Open File" option. Continue to the "Recognize Text Using OCR" button on the right panel to lead to a menu.
- Step 2: As it opens, ensure to select "Searchable PDF" from the left-hand menu. You will have to initially define the "Layout" of the PDF document by selecting any of the three layout options explained above. The "Text over the page image" is selected by default in the Layout section.
- Step 3: Set other options for performing OCR, including the advanced layout options, document language, image resolution, and page ranges. Click the "Perform OCR" button after initializing all options.
13. Turn PDFs to Image-Only For Avoiding Unnecessary Edits
Turn PDFs to Image-Only PDF: Change editable PDF documents to image-only PDF files with the help of the OCR tool in UPDF.
UPDF also offers another unique function to its users to enhance their productivity and prevent them from going elsewhere to turn their PDF files into searchable or solid documents. OCR function in UPDF has proven its functionality to the consumer market and has shown that it can perform the required action in seconds. However, another unique addition to this feature was turning PDFs into "Image-only PDFs," which can be done in a few clicks.
Users can have their text and images secured from unauthorized access with the help of this feature. If you want to secure the text and other content of the PDF document, this hidden feature of UPDF gives great functionality in no time. You will not be required to perform multiple tasks to achieve this feat. UPDF has made it a matter of a few seconds with its image-only PDF function in the OCR tool.
How to Turn PDFs into Image-Only PDFs
- Step 1: For this process, you will have to access the "Recognize Text Using OCR" option on the right panel after opening the PDF document.
- Step 2: As the menu opens as a pop-up, select "Image-only PDF" from the Document Type section and continue with the next options.
- Step 3: Define the proper option for the "Keep Pictures" section and set a page range to apply the function. Select "Perform OCR" to continue with the process.
14. Share Your PDFs Online as a Link
Online share: Share your PDF files as a link or through emails according to your requirement.
Looking to have your PDF files shared? UPDF saves you time with its hidden feature of sharing PDF files with users online. You can generate a link and email it to your contacts in a few seconds. While it saves you time, UPDF also generates very impressive and professional email content to work with. The link shared with the users can be opened and read by the users easily without requiring the need to download UPDF on their devices.
There are multiple options that you can utilize for sharing PDF files online. From creating a link or sharing it with other users via email, all of this can be done on a single platform. This hidden feature saves you time sharing and managing your PDF files for your team.
How to Share PDFs Online as a Link
- Step 1: Once you have edited or organized a PDF file, you can have it shared online as a link from UPDF directly. To do that, lead to the "Share this file with others" button on the right panel to open a menu.
- Step 2: While you find yourselves in the "Share a Link" section, tap on "Create" to generate a link. Copy and share it with any user of your choice. You can set restrictions on your PDF with the "Disable Copy/Download/Print" toggle and set an expiration time for the link. If you want to stop sharing the file with other users, select "Unshare File" to make the link useless.
- Step 3: UPDF also allows you to share PDF files as a link through emails. Access the "Share with Others" section and add the email of the people you wish to share the PDF with along with a message. Use the toggle of "Disable Copy/Download/Print" if needed. You can also set an expiration time for the shared PDF.
15. Slideshow - Make Your PDF Your Presentation
Use Slideshow: Take the help of the slideshow feature offered by UPDF to display your PDF files as a slideshow without converting them to a PowerPoint file.
Rather than using PowerPoint, UPDF comes with this intuitive hidden feature of showing the PDF document as a slideshow to the users. If you are looking to present the PDF file in your office, you are not bound to change this to another format and display it to your colleagues across another software. UPDF can show the PDF document as a slideshow, which can be achieved under different variants.
While this is not common among other PDF editors, the use of a slideshow proves immensely helpful to the user in many ways. Not only can they highlight or mark a particular point of the PDF file like a presenter tool, but you can also play the slideshow under different options. Users can leverage the option of using the slideshow feature on UPDF, which saves them time in presenting the file to other users.
How to Create a Slideshow of Your PDF
- Step 1: You must successfully open a PDF document on UPDF and progress to the "View" tab on the top. Find the "Slide Show" option in the list to continue to the next section.
- Step 2: Select "Play from Start" if you wish to initiate the slideshow from the start. To start the slideshow from a specific page you have opened on UPDF, select "Play from Current Slide." As the slideshow starts, you can also edit them with the help of the options available there.
- Step 3: For a different experience in slideshows, UPDF also offers the "Use Presenter View" option.
16. Optimize Your PDF File in A Few Clicks
Optimize PDF files: Change and reduce the file size of the PDF file with the help of the compression tool offered by UPDF.
UPDF has recently announced and presented its compression tool to the market with quick and one-click options. It came up with four different optimization levels that can be utilized to enhance the quality of PDF files. While these options display the optimized file size, the process becomes a matter of a few seconds for them to cover.
No additional utilities are involved in the process, and the user can easily optimize their PDF files with this hidden feature on the platform. From maximum document quality to the lowest, the process genuinely takes a few clicks to execute. We have outlined these optimization types as follows for a better understanding of the function:
- Maximum: Get the highest quality document with the lowest compression rate. The change in the file size will be minimal for this option.
- High: Compress your PDF under a minor compression rate. The change in file size is not significant but is lower than the original size.
- Medium: You can compress your PDF under a good compression rate, which will change the file size by more than half the original size.
- Low: Try to compress PDF files with a high compression rate, which will decrease the file size to the minimum possible size.
How to Optimize Your PDF Files in a Few Clicks
- Step 1: Open the respective PDF document on UPDF and continue to the right panel to find the "Save as Other" button.
- Step 2: As you click on it, a menu opens where you must select "Reduce File Size…" from the options.
- Step 3: This opens a new window where you can select the appropriate compression quality. As you select any particular quality type, the calculated file size appears below for a better understanding.
- Step 4: Select "Save As" and continue to set a location for the optimized PDF file on your computer.
With all these hidden features, you have learned why UPDF stands as the greatest PDF editor to exist. Such extensivity in the features is unlikely for a PDF editor, which UPDF has achieved. After going through all these features, you will definitely consider purchasing and using UPDF for your everyday needs. After adopting this PDF editor for your daily tasks, find a heightening increase in your work productivity.
- How to Create Drop Down List in Excel? (The Complete Guide)
- The Ultimate Guide on How to Use ChatGPT to Write a Resume
- ChatGPT vs. Siri, What are the Differences? Who Will Be the Winner in the AI Race?
- How to Use ChatGPT to Improve Your Work Productivity
- Extract Pages from Word with 3 Easy Ways
- An Easy & Unique Way to Create PDF from Images
- How to Insert Checkbox in Excel? (5 Easy Ways)
- 8 Solutions for Adobe Acrobat Not Opening
- How to Add Text to The Beginning and End of Cell in Excel? (The Easiest Ways)
- How to Insert an Excel File to PPT
- How to Download and Use ChatGPT for Mac Safely?
- How to Convert, Import, and Export PPT to Excel for Free
- How to Embed Fonts in PowerPoint on Win/Mac
- GPT-4 vs. GPT-3.5, Which Version is Better?
- How to Copy PDF to PowerPoint