In recent times, PDF has emerged as a universal file format. This format is perfect for sharing documents across different platforms and operating systems without having to worry about the loss of graphics integrity and compromise on security. As PDF is the preferred file format, it is only obvious that you will encounter situations when you need to write up a PDF file from your Macbook. While there are many PDF writer apps available in the market, it is important that you pick a high-quality PDF writer for Mac.
Top 5 Free PDF Writers for Mac
The below list is a compilation of the best PDF writers for Mac. These apps have been created by some of the world's most reputed technology companies and have well established themselves as high-quality PDF writer for Mac books.
UPDF is undoubtedly the best free PDF writer for Mac. UPDF for Mac is a highly effective app that can help you perform any PDF creation, modification, and management tasks with ease. It can not only perform a regular conversion of popular document file formats to PDF format but can also take full advantage of the advanced OCR (optical character recognition) algorithms to visually collect data and in mere seconds convert files without layout and visual elements of the source file.
Once you write a PDF file with UPDF, you can also easily protect the PDF file with a password and sign the PDF with a digital signature.
The main advantages of using this PDF writer for Mac are as follows -
- This PDF writer for Mac is completely free and can be easily downloaded from the Apple Store.
- The app boasts of a beautiful and user-friendly user interface that ensures zero learning curve and eliminates the requirement for video training.
- Its fast speed and high performance are unmatched by any other free PDF writer for Mac.
2. Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
Adobe Acrobat Reader Pro DC is a cloud-based PDF writer for Mac. This software is a full suite of PDF tools that lets you view, sign, and annotate PDF documents. All PDF documents written using this software can also be stored in the Adobe Documents Cloud.
Adobe Acrobat Reader Pro DC allows users to edit PDF documents by highlighting, striking off, or underlining specific texts. You can also add comments or notes in the source file which will be visible in the final PDF document.
This PDF writer for Mac has the following advantages -
- The software is packed with features and is extremely easy to use.
- The app is very fast and enables quick PDF editing.
- This is an industry-grade software and is recognized and used by some of the best organizations across the globe.
However, this app has a few disadvantages as well -
- Some aspects of the app are quite technical and the verbiage used may not be very easy for a layman to understand.
- There have been some past reports of file corruption in the software.
- Many features are not available to free users. These features can only be accessed by upgrading to a premium license which is very expensive.
3. PDF Expert
PDF Expert is another popular PDF writer for Mac. It helps to read, convert and change text and images on your PDF files. While this tool is fully on-premises, it allows you to sync PDF files across devices.
The app offers the following pros -
- The overall experience with the app is great and every feature is implemented well.
- The app is extremely easy to set up and use on Macbooks.
- Multiple PDF files can be managed easily.
However, the app does have a few shortcomings -
- The OCR capabilities of the app are not up to the mark
- The app is also quite expensive
- Some of the advanced features are slightly difficult to find.
PDFpen is a comprehensive PDF writer for Mac. Users of the app can easily add signatures, text, and images and create a PDF file. The app offers OCR scanning capabilities and allows you to make changes and correct typos very easily. The PDF files you write using this app can be saved to iCloud, Evernote, and many other Cloud services.
The app comes with the following advantages -
- The advanced features of the app are available with a Pro version called the PDFpenPro and this is not very expensive.
- Basic PDF actions can be easily done using this tool.
However, it is important to note some of the disadvantages of the app as well -
- The app does not very feature-rich when compared to other PDF writers for Mac
- There have also been reports of the app crashing frequently on some Macbook versions.
Skim is a note taker and PDF writer for Mac. The app was designed to help manage and annotate scientific papers in PDF. However, the app has evolved into a complete PDF manager. Skim requires OS X 10.10 or higher.
The pros of using this app are as follows -
- It is extremely easy to use.
- The app comes with a good set of features and has good customer support.
- The split display feature of this app allows you to view two documents simultaneously.
However, the app suffers from a few cons, which are as follows -
- The app does not offer good collaboration and sync features. This makes it slightly difficult for a team to work on the same PDF document at the same time.
- Some of the annotations done using this software are not easily visible in other PDF tools.
Indeed, Macbook owners are spoilt for choice when it comes to picking the best free PDF writer for Mac. However, considering the features, ease of use and cost-effectiveness UPDF is easily the best PDF writer for Mac. The UPDF app has been gaining a lot of traction among users who need to perform a lot of PDF actions. The reviews clearly show that this app is a winner when it comes to any PDF action.
- How to Search for a Word in a PDF
- How to Add Link to PDF
- How to Extract Images from PDF on Mac
- The Best and Free Alternative to Smallpdf Editor
- The Best Free Sejda PDF Editor Alternative
- A Free iSkysoft PDF Editor Alternative
- How to Create Link for PDF
- How to Read PDF in 5 Ways
- How to Remove Text from PDF
- How to Save Web Page as PDF