Can I combine PDFs in Preview? Preview is the default Mac app for PDF files, however, there is no "Combine" feature with it. Although there is no such feature, it's still possible to merge two or more separate PDF files into a single document using Preview. In this article, we will introduce the tricks to do it. Read on to find out more.
Before we introduce the tricks, we'd like to introduce a more reliable way to combine PDFs on Mac, which offers a Batch Combine feature to help you straightforwardly.
A Better Alternative to Preview on Mac
UPDF is one of the better options available as an alternative to Mac Preview. You can combine multiple PDFs into a single PDF file on Mac efficiently. The speed of this software is very fast and you will get the combined PDF file in seconds with high quality. The batch process saves you a lot of time and improves your productivity.
UPDF, in contrast to Preview for Mac, is compatible with Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android operating systems. You will have no trouble editing, annotating, converting, or managing PDF files when you use this best PDF editor.
How do I combine PDFs with Preview Alternative - UPDF?
Let's introduce the detailed guide to combine PDFs on Mac with this Preview replacement.
- Step 1. Run the UPDF program on your device. Click the "Batch Combine" option.
- Step 2. You can add the PDF files you want to combine in the new window. Click the "+ Add Files" option to add as many PDF files as your need without worrying about quality and speed. UPDF allows you to add PDF files as well as image files together.
- Step 3. After you add the files, you can change the order of your PDFs.
- Step 4. Click the "Apply" button, choose a folder for the merged PDF file, and click "Save". You will get the PDF file immediately.
Why Should I choose UPDF over Preview?
There are mainly two reasons to choose UPDF over Preview.
- Reason #1: It offers the batch combine feature
First of all, it is very important for us to use the batch process feature to improve document productivity. With this tool, you are allowed to add multiple PDF files together. It also offers you the best quality as the original file.
- Reason #2: It has more features available
With UPDF, you may simply alter and edit the text in a PDF file. You may easily add, remove, or change the text font in a PDF file. It also makes it simple to edit pictures within PDF files, such as changing, cropping, rotating, and extracting whatever sort of image you want from within your PDF document. This tool also includes the ability to extract text from photos using the OCR feature.
One of the many advantages of using UPDF is the ability to annotate PDF files regardless of where you are. In addition, it gives you the ability to highlight, underline, make notes, add shapes, and insert text boxes on key information.
In no other PDF, the editor has the structure of PDF pages been made to be this simple, and it's a huge time saver. With only a few clicks of the mouse, you are able to insert, remove, rotate, extract, split, replace, and rearrange pages.
This totally free alternative to Mac Preview features a user interface that is simple and straightforward, and it gives you the ability to adjust PDF views in any way you see fit. You also have the ability to search for texts within PDF files and browse PDF documents using multiple tabs. It also has a feature to display a PDF as a Slideshow.
There are also other important features such as OCR, conversion, protection, etc. Simply click the button below to try it for free.
2 Ways to Merge PDFs in Preview
Preview's Combine function may be accessed in two ways. Two options are available: combining whole files and combining only a portion of a file. Here's how to merge PDF in Mac preview:
Way 1. How to Merge 2 PDFs in Preview
If you want to merge PDFs in Preview, follow these instructions:
- Open your PDF file in Preview.
- "View > Thumbnails" is where you'll find the thumbnail options. The sidebar will display thumbnails of the pages you've recently seen.
- Insert the second document by clicking on a thumbnail of a page.
- Select "Edit > Insert > Page from file"
- Click Open to add the PDF document you selected.
- If you want to create a single PDF document, select File > Export.
Way 2. How to Merge a Part of a PDF with Another PDF in Preview
In Preview, use the following to use Mac Preview combine PDF for different parts. Here is how to combine PDF files in Preview:
- Open the PDF files that you wish to combine in Mac preview.
- In both files, go to "View > Thumbnails" to see the thumbnails of the pages.
- Select the thumbnails you wish to utilize by pressing and holding the Command Key and then releasing the Command Key.
- In your original PDF document, choose the thumbnail you want, and then drag & drop it where you want it to appear.
- In order to save your new file, select File > Export from the menu.
Disadvantages to Use Preview to Merge PDFs
The following are the disadvantages of using Preview to merge PDF files:
- Lack of advanced features such as editing text in PDFs, OCR text recognition, etc.
- Limited native sharing options.
- Only available to Mac users.
Although Preview allows you to combine PDFs, the process is complicated and you can't do it in batch. It is better to use more professional PDF software like UPDF to help you do the task. If you are still confused about which software to use, check the comparison chart below to help you choose wisely.
|Combine PDFs||Yes, you can combine PDFs easily using the "Batch Combine" option with UPDF.||There is no Combine option in Preview. You can only insert another PDF file into the correct PDF file.|
|Edit the existing text in PDF|
|OCR Text Recognition|
|Convert PDF to Word/Excel/PPT|
|Add Stamps to PDF|
After checking the comparison chart, it is clear that UPDF is always the best option for you. Try it now, or learn the full comparison between Preview and UPDF.
FAQs on Merging PDFs with Preview
Can you combine PDF files in Mac Preview?
Yes, you can combine PDF files in Mac Preview. Launch Preview and load each of the PDFs that you intend to merge there. To view page thumbnails in the sidebar, select View > Thumbnails from the menu available in each document. You may add page thumbnails from one document to another by holding down the Command () key and selecting the thumbnails of the pages you wish to add to the other document.
However, the process of combining PDF files in Mac Preview is very complicated and beginners are confused about it. Why not switch to UPDF with the intuitive interface?
How do I merge things in Preview?
Here is how to merge PDF files in Preview:
- Launch Preview and open the two PDFs that you want to combine into one.
- You may access the sidebar drawer for each document by clicking the Sidebar button on the toolbar. You will be shown thumbnails of each page as you go through the PDF.
- Simply choose the page's thumbnail that you want to add to the target document, and then click on it. (To pick several pages, keep the Command key down while you click.)
- Simply pull the thumbnails of the selected page(s) over to the sidebar of the document you're working on.
How do I combine PDF images in Preview?
Here is how to combine images into PDF in Preview:
- Select the PDF images in Finder. To achieve this, drag a box over many picture files or pick them separately while holding Command.
- Right-click a highlighted file and select Open With -> Preview.
- Drag thumbnail photos into the desired order in Preview's sidebar. Preview's Rotate button changes page orientation.
- File -> Print... or Command+P opens the Print dialog in Preview.
- Click Show Details to view all Print choices. In Pages, choose All. Click the arrows below the print preview to check each image's alignment, then use the Orientation buttons to adjust any.
- Save as PDF from Print's PDF dropdown menu.
You will find that using Preview is very difficult and there are many steps you need to follow. However, UPDF offers a more straightforward method to help you combine images into a PDF.
Is it free to merge PDF in Preview?
Yes, it is free to merge PDF in Preview. However, Preview is a simple PDF software on Mac, and it doesn't offer advanced features. To do more tasks with PDF, you should use UPDF. It will give you a complete PDF solution to help you view, markup, edit, convert, protect, manage, and print PDFs.
Conclusion: After reading this article, you will find that UPDF is a much easier and more reliable PDF combiner for you. You can not only combine multiple PDF files on Mac, but you can also combine image files into a PDF with it. What's more? UPDF is a complete PDF solution and you can use it to edit, convert, organize, OCR, and protect PDF files easily. Try it for free now!
- Top 12 Best Cross-Platform Productivity Apps 2023 to Streamline Workflow Efficiency
- 20 Best Productivity Tips and Hacks to Improve Workflow in 2023
- Exploring GPT-4 and Comparing its Features with ChatGPT
- 5 Most Useful Tips to Help You Work Faster
- PDF vs Word Docx - What are the Key Differences?
- Apple Events of the Whole Year of 2023 - Everything We Know
- Everything We Know About WWDC 2023 So Far
- How to Make Time Go Faster at Work in 5 Ways
- Google Bard Vs. Bing ChatGPT: The Battle for AI Search Engine Supremacy
- Top 10 Ways to Improve Work Performance