Despite the fact that PDF is one of the best formats for sharing documents, it is best used when the document is complete and the receiver only needs to read it. It can be tough to make changes to a PDF document. However, editing is an important part of the writing process, and you will need to alter a component of your PDF document at some time. This is where freeware PDF editors come in handy. To make your choice easier, we have compiled a selection of the most convenient freeware PDF editors that are perfect for editing documents.
The List of Top 5 Freeware PDF Editors
Comparing the Top 5 Freeware PDF Editors
Nowadays, free PDF editors are almost impossible to find as there isn't such a thing as a free PDF editor. Actually, all real PDF editors which let you edit the existing texts will charge. Still, we've prepared a table chart of the top freemium and cost-effective PDF editors for both Windows and Mac operating systems. With the help of this comparison chart, you can pick any of the PDF readers you like. If you want to use a real PDF editor that allows you not only to add text to PDF but also edit the existing text in PDF, go for UPDF.
|Tool||Pricing||Operating System||Edit Existing Text||Edit Features||Rating|
|UPDF||$29.99/Year $49.99/Perpetual (One purchase, all platforms)||Windows, Mac, Android, iOS||Yes||Edit text, images, links, watermarks, backgrounds, pages, etc.||4.8|
|Sejda||$63/Year||Web||No||It doesn't provide a real editing feature. It can't edit the existing text, but can only add text boxes to PDF.||4.0|
|LibreOffice||Free, but it is an office suite, not a professional PDF editor.||Windows, Mac||No||The editing is not done directly, as it will convert your PDF files first. It may damage the layout of your original PDF file.||4.0|
|PDFescape||Ultimate: $5.99/Month ($71.88/year)||Windows/Web||No||It doesn't provide a real editing feature. It can't edit the existing text, but can only add text boxes to PDF.||4.2|
|Smallpdf||Pro: $9/Month ($108/year) Team: $7/Month($84/year)||Web||No||It doesn't provide a real editing feature. It can't edit the existing text, but can only add text boxes to PDF.||4.1|
UPDF is more than simply a PDF viewer or reader. UPDF is one of the best PDF editors for Mac and Windows. Say goodbye to complicated software and hello to UPDF which is simple to use. In just a few clicks, you can edit, annotate, convert, OCR, sign, and safeguard your documents.
UPDF is a comprehensive tool for working with PDF documents. Any PDF file can be created, edited, converted, shared, and protected with it. We can change the text, upload images and graphics, and chop out parts of them when editing. You can convert it to Word, Excel, or HTML, or make an image if you need to convert it to another format.
- You can quickly convert PDF documents to other file formats, or use the PDF format to archive your data.
- The OCR feature allows you to transform scanned PDFs or image-based PDFs into editable PDFs in just a few clicks.
- UPDF safeguards your information with a password.
- There are a lot of annotation tools available for you to review PDF documents.
- Super easy to edit texts, images, pages, links, watermarks, or backgrounds in PDF.
- Split files into individual PDFs.
- Sign PDF with electronic signature and hand-written signature.
- Print PDF documents easily.
Video Tutorial on How to Edit a PDF File on Windows
Sejda is a little online PDF editor but possesses some remarkable editing features. Since it's an online PDF editor, you can edit your PDFs on any operating system. Sejda is a freemium tool, and you can freely use its free PDF features. At some point, if you feel you need to upgrade yourself, you can purchase one of its plans. The plan offers some advanced features which you won't be able to get in its free version.
And this tool's editing feature is not real, because you can only add new text to PDF, but it doesn't allow you to edit the existing text.
Pros of Inkscape:
- Loaded with PDF editing features
- Simple and straightforward to use.
- Not entirely free.
- Can't edit the existing text in PDF
- Not safe and stable
LibreOffice is another freeware PDF editor for both personal and corporate use. LibreOffice is simple, simple, and intuitive to use, making it ideal for anyone who is new to PDF editing or advanced computer software. As soon as you download and install LibreOffice to your hard drive, you may begin editing PDF files.
However, this tool is an Office suite but not a professional PDF editor. When you import your PDF file into its interface, it may change the original layout.
- Good for those who don't want to purchase MS Office at a high price.
- It is not easy to load large or more extensive PDF files with LibreOffice.
- LibreOffice may freeze and/or crash upon attempting to load larger files and/or PDF projects.
- It is not a professional PDF tool.
PDFescape is a freeware PDF editor that allows you to edit PDF files up to 100 pages in length. You won't be able to edit the text or image, but you will only be able to add your own. It contains a powerful text tool, as well as the ability to draw on the PDF, redact information, add sticky notes, and so on.
Its website is compatible with all operating systems, but its desktop version is only available for Windows 7 and newer, and it is not free.
- It can help you add new text to a PDF file.
- You can't edit existing texts in PDF files.
- Limits the size of PDF and length of its pages.
Smallpdf is another open-source PDF editor that lets you add text, images, signatures, and shapes to your PDF. You can use your computer, Google Drive, or Dropbox to upload the file. You can't change the typefaces in its text toolbox, but you can modify the font size and color.
You can also use your PDF to extract pages. After you've finished editing the PDF, you can save it to your computer or to your Dropbox account. You can also share the PDF download link with others, but it will only be valid for two weeks.
This tool also doesn't allow you to edit the existing text in PDF. You can only add new ones.
- You can add text to the PDF.
- You can load and save PDFs from various sources.
- You can't edit existing text.
- You can only edit two PDFs per day.
We have reviewed the best PDF editing programs. Before choosing a tool, you need to determine the requirements. For sure, it should be a freeware PDF editing program that has at least basic functions: text editing, adding pictures, and rotating/moving pages. The chosen tool should be simple and clear. It is desirable that the files are processed without loss of quality. If you deal with electronic documentation on a daily basis and have no time to study, look towards the best PDF editor like UPDF. This is one of the most effective tools for converting PDF files from one format to another, allowing for easy editing, and with an advanced OCR feature.
- 3 Different Methods to Merge Images into PDF
- 2 Ways to Combine Images into PDF on Mac
- Top 5 Free PDF Editor Android in 2023
- The Best Tool to Convert Multiple JPG to PDF
- How to Merge PNG to PDF Using the Best PDF Combiner
- Como Cortar PDF em 2 Métodos Fáceis
- The Hidden Features of UPDF That You Don't Know
- How to Create an Electronic Signature in PDF Flawlessly
- How to Modify a PDF Online Easily and Quickly
- How to Modify a PDF on Mac Effortlessly