While it is possible to open a PDF document on any browser, sometimes you need to do more than just open and view the document. This is where PDF readers like Foxit Reader for Mac come in. These PDF readers allow you to annotate the PDF as you read, ideal for shared projects where PDF documents are needed.
Foxit Reader for Mac does have all of these features and more. But it is always a good idea to try a few different tools to find the one that suits your needs. The following are some Foxit Reader alternatives to choose from.
5 of the Best Foxit Reader for Mac Alternatives
UPDF is a free PDF management tool that can be used to read, view, and annotate a PDF document. But it is so much more than just a PDF reader. This is a complete PDF editor that has numerous other features that will fit perfectly into whatever project you are involved in.
One of its main advantages is that it is so easy to use and it can do so much more than any other tool in the market currently. You can use it to open, create, convert, annotate, print, and share PDFs with incredible ease. Here's what you can expect from UPDF:
- It is one of the best ways to read a PDF document with annotation features that give you the freedom to highlight, markup, and even add notes and comments to any document.
- It has a built-in PDF converter that allows you to convert PDF documents to different formats including Word, Excel, PPT, Text, HTML, XML, RTF, and images.
- It is also the best solution when you need to reorganize or even remove some of the pages on your document.
- It has powerful document protection capabilities, allowing you to add a password or permissions to restrict access to the PDF.
- The built-in OCR function allows you to read and edit scanned PDF documents.
2. Adobe Reader for Mac
There is a reason why Adobe Reader for Mac is still one of the most popular ways to open and read PDF documents. You always know what you're going to get and that is unmatched annotation features that allow you to read and markup the document in numerous ways. It is also one of the best solutions for collaboration since it easily integrates with most third-party and cloud services.
The fact that Adobe Reader is also available for iOS devices also makes it an ideal Foxit reader for Mac alternative for those on the go.
- It has numerous annotation features
- It is reliable and always up-to-date
- The iOS app and desktop version can sync to facilitate remote working
- Adobe Reader can be expensive as compared to other similar tools
- It lacks editing features. You would have to get Adobe Acrobat for that.
3. PDF Professional
This is a PDF reader app that you can download from the App Store directly onto your Mac. You can use it to open, read and annotate any PDF document. It also has document conversion capabilities that allow you to convert PDF documents to several other formats.
Apart from just reading PDFs, you can use PDF Professional to make minor changes to a PDF document. Some of the changes you can make include adding links, images, and various annotations including comments. It also has document protection features such as the ability to add a password to restrict access to the PDF.
- It streamlines the PDF reading process by allowing you to choose from different reading modes
- It has limited editing capabilities
- It can also be used to password-protect or encrypt a PDF
- It may not be ideal for reading large files
- It doesn't integrate with third-party apps
If you are looking for a tool that will read PDFs as well as other formats, Skim is a good choice. It is an open-source PDF reader that can also be used to read a variety of other formats like EPUB. Like most effective PDF readers, Skim comes complete with the annotation features you need to add and edit notes, and highlight and underline text easily.
One major benefit of using Skim that you may not find in other readers is the fact that it integrates with Spotlight, allowing you to search for text directly. You can also export some of the text or even an entire page from the document.
- It is a completely free PDF reader
- It has very useful annotation features
- Integrates perfectly with Spotlight
- Can be used to read eBook formats
- It has a very simple user interface
- It lacks advanced editing features or even an OCR function
- It is not updated often, which can cause compatibility issues
5. Haihsisoft PDF Reader
This is a lightweight alternative to Foxit Reader that will not take up too much space on your Mac. Its main advantage over the other tools on this list is that it can be used to open just about any document including PDFs that are protected by the DRM-X platform.
It will also allow you to annotate the PDF document in numerous ways as you read. And, it doesn't connect to the internet without your permission, making it a secure way to read sensitive documents.
- It is a very lightweight program
- It can open protected PDFs
- It has great annotation tools
- It is completely free to use
- It doesn't have an OCR function
- You will not be able to use it to edit the PDF
The options above are just a fraction of the numerous tools you can use to read a PDF document on your Mac. But if you want to manage your PDF in more ways than one, the only Foxit Reader alternative to choose is UPDF.
- How to Open PDF in Chrome
- How to Open Password Protected PDF in 3 Ways
- How to Open Multiple PDFs at Once
- How to Compare PDFs for Free (3 Ways)
- How to Open PDF in InDesign on Mac
- How to Add Bookmarks to PDF
- 10 Best Software for Lawyers to Improve Productivity in 2022
- Exploring the Automation of Audit Trails
- Why OCR is Critical for BFSI (Banking and Financial Services Industry)
- Top 10 Productivity Apps for Mac in 2022