We are all living in a world of heavy digital information exchange. Often information is documented and shared for both personal and professional purposes using PDF documents. It is common that people create very long PDF documents. This makes it necessary to add bookmarks to PDF documents so one can easily navigate and find the information in a PDF document. This article details how to add bookmarks to PDF documents with three methods, including UPDF - the best free PDF solution.
- Part 1. Why Bookmarks is so Important?
- Part 2. The Best Free Tool to Create Bookmarks in PDF
- Part 3. How to Add Bookmarks in PDF Free Step-by-Step
- Part 4. How to Add Bookmarks with Adobe Acrobat Step-by-Step
- Part 5. How to Add Bookmarks to PDF Online Step-by-Step
It is natural that a PDF document can run in a large number of pages. Sometimes so much content can be overwhelming for a reader to consume. This is especially true for academic documentation. In such cases as a good practice the writer of the document must always add bookmarks to PDF to mark the start of a new section. This helps the reader of the document.
In the digital age everyone reads novels and books in the electronic PDF format. It is usually impossible to finish reading an e-book in one sitting. Just like reading a physical book requires us to use a bookmark to mark our point of break, a bookmark is also required in PDF documents. Once the reader is back from a break he/she can resume reading from the bookmarked position.
When studying a PDF document, it is likely that a reader wishes to create bookmarks in PDF to mark some noteworthy points in the document, so he/she can come back and revise the same. In this situation it is required to place multiple bookmarks in a PDF document.
In all the above situations, users may want to add bookmarks to PDF documents.
If you are looking for the best tool to create bookmarks in PDF documents, UPDF is the software that you must try out.
UPDF is a high-quality PDF editing suite with rich PDF tool options. The interface of the tool is very delightful and offers a seamless way to add bookmarks to PDF documents. One can also make use of the in-built PDF reader to annotate the PDF document with ease. Users can easily edit any part of the PDF document if requisite as well.
One can easily extract pictures from PDF without the requirement of any kind of tool training. The tool also offers users a way to resize, reposition, copy and delete pictures from the PDF document in seconds.
The software is completely free and very light weight unlike other software. A beginner can also achieve all PDF editing actions with great ease.
The most important benefit of UPDF is that the tool is completely free and does not require users to enter their credit card details to get started.
Let us now explore how to add a bookmark to PDF documents using the UPDF tool. You will be able to understand by the end of the below tutorial that the tool is extremely intuitive and requires a minimal learning curve.
The steps to add a bookmark to PDF using UPDF are as follows:
Step 1. Open a PDF Document
The first step is to install the UPDF tool on your system. The tool is readily available for both the Windows and Mac operating systems.
To create a bookmark in PDF, you will first need to open the PDF file in the UPDF tool. Click on the "Open File" button that appears upon launching UPDF. Choose the PDF document on your computer to open it.
Step 2. Reveal Bookmark Panel
For Windows users, you will now need to head to the bookmarks section. You can go to the top-left corner of the interface and click on the Bookmark icon.
For Mac users, you need to click the file icon on the top-left corner and then choose the "Bookmark" option. This will reveal the bookmark panel. You can click here to learn how to add bookmarks to PDF on Mac.
Step 3. Add Bookmarks to PDF
Now click on the "+ Add Bookmark" button on the left-button section.
You will see there is a "New Bookmark" appearing on the bookmark list. Double-click to rename it. You can also manage all the bookmark easily.
You can also choose to add bookmarks to PDF using Adobe Acrobat. You may follow the below steps -
- Launch Adobe Acrobat and click on the Bookmarks button on the left to open the Bookmarks panel.
- Open the page in the PDF where you want the bookmark to link to, and adjust the view settings.
- Use the Select tool to select the area of the page you want to bookmark. Select the text you wish to bookmark. You can select an image to bookmark as well.
- Select the bookmark under which you want to place the new bookmark. If you don't select a bookmark, the new bookmark is automatically added towards the end of the list.
- Choose "Tools". Select "Edit PDF" option. Under the More selection click on "Add Bookmark".
- In the Bookmarks panel, type or edit the name of the new bookmark.
It is also possible to add bookmarks to PDF online. This can be achieved using the PDFescape online tool. In order to create a bookmark in PDF online follow the below steps -
- Navigate to PDFescape online tool.
- Open the PDF document using the tool.
- Navigate to the page where you wish to place a bookmark.
- Click on the View Bookmarks button
- Click on the Add Bookmark option
- You can now add a name for the bookmark.
- Click on OK to confirm and the bookmark is created for your reference.
- It is also possible to create child bookmarks as requisite.
It is clear from the above article that there is a free and high-quality tool to add bookmarks to PDF documents. UPDF is the perfect tool for Windows and Mac users. The tool is a complete suite of PDF editing, annotating and bookmarking utilities nicely packaged in a free software. The rich editing options makes your job with PDF documents seamless and quick. There are no other tools of such high quality that can help achieve what UPDF can. Therefore, if you are looking to create bookmarks in PDF documents on Windows and Mac, UPDF is indeed the best option.
- How to Open PDF in Chrome
- How to Open Password Protected PDF in 3 Ways
- How to Open Multiple PDFs at Once
- How to Compare PDFs for Free (3 Ways)
- How to Open PDF in InDesign on Mac
- How to Add Bookmarks to PDF
- 10 Best Software for Lawyers to Improve Productivity in 2022
- Exploring the Automation of Audit Trails
- Why OCR is Critical for BFSI (Banking and Financial Services Industry)
- Top 10 Productivity Apps for Mac in 2022