PDF Encrypter tools help you protect critical data as anyone who attempts to access the PDF will require a password to open it and make changes. Here are 10 PDF encryption software that can add passwords, redact sensitive information, and more.
These PDF encryption software tools have the potential to prevent editing, copying, and printing. PDF encryption secures your documents while still giving you control. Let's take a closer look at the best PDF encryption software for your device so you can make an informed decision.
Top 5 PDF Encrypter for Mac
1. UPDF for Mac
Let's start with the best PDF encryption software, UPDF. Setting a password for a PDF using UPDF is one of the most effective and convenient methods to safeguard a PDF document. This is a free solution that enables users to add an open password that limits access to the PDF document, and a permissions password that restricts the ability to edit, copy, and print any PDF document. Both of these passwords may be changed at any time by the creator of the document.
Secure your document using UPDF using these instructions:
- Step 1. You may begin by opening the PDF file you want to encrypt via UPDF by clicking on the software's drop-down "Open File" menu.
- Step 2: Take a look at the "Protect" icon. "Protect" can be found on the right toolbar by clicking on it. Hovering the mouse pointer over it displays "Protect Using Password".
- Step 3: Create a PDF Open Password: Select "Document Open" from the menu to add an open password to the document. Input the password that will be used to secure the PDF.
- Step 4: Create a PDF Permissions Password: Select the "Permissions" option to limit the PDF document's editing and copying. Enter the password that will be used to safeguard the PDF. If you want to tweak the Permission limits further, go to "More Tools" to explore additional possibilities.
- Step 5: At this point, click "Apply" to save your changes. Finally, click "Save" to keep the document and your password safe from unauthorized access.
UPDF also offers a wide range of additional functions, such as:
- Its easy-to-use navigation and markup capabilities make it the most exemplary method for opening, reading, and annotating PDFs.
- Edit PDF content by modifying text, text font, size, color, etc.
- Insert, replace, resize, copy, delete, and crop PDF pictures via a built-in image editor.
- Extract PDF pages, reorganize, rotate, remove, and add new ones.
- Convert PDF documents easily to other file formats.
Preview is another PDF encryption software for Mac. It is the default PDF viewer on Mac and it offers several features such as viewing PDFs and annotating PDFs. But it does not have any advanced features as it is a simple free software on Mac. If you want advanced features like OCR and Edit, then you should go to UPDF or Acrobat. The following steps show you how to apply password protection to prevent unauthorized access by others in Preview:
- Start Preview and open a PDF file on your Mac. Choose "File" > "Export" from the menu bar. The original PDF will remain unencrypted if you give the password-protected copy a new name.
- In the new window, click the "Permissions" option.
- Then set the password. You can set an open password or an owner password.
- Press the "Apply" button and click on "Save".
3. PDF Expert
PDF Expert is one of the most popular PDF editors for Mac. It enables users to annotate, edit, scan, and OCR PDF documents. It is also a PDF encryption software for Mac, as it has the ability to encrypt your PDFs easily. It is a good choice if you don't have complex tasks with PDF documents. PDF Expert is only available on Mac and iOS devices, so if you are a Windows user, you'll need to skip this option.
- Open the file that you want to password-protect by clicking "File" at the top of the screen.
- Next, choose "Set Password".
- Make sure you've entered and confirmed your password; save the changes by clicking on the Set button.
- Your PDF file may now only be opened with a password. You can't even see the preview of the document!
4. Cisdem PDFMaster
To convert, generate, edit, combine, split, compress, encrypt and decrypt PDF files, you can also use PDFMaster. It is a good PDF encryption software too. This tool is not famous as Adobe Acrobat, PDF Expert, or UPDF, but you can try it.
- Open the file and go to the "PDF Encrypt" section.
- Select and set the Open and Permissions passwords.
- Click "OK" to lock the file or apply the restrictions password.
iLovePDF has created a free web solution for encrypting PDF files. It also works well on Mac browsers. Use the Protect PDF File tool to prevent unauthorized individuals from making changes to any PDF document by setting restrictions on who has access to shared documents. Below are the steps for using this free PDF encryption software:
- Select a PDF file by clicking the "Select a PDF file" button.
- Select a PDF file that you wish to encrypt.
- You may set a password in the right-hand menu.
- To ensure that the password is correct and verified as such, type it in again.
- Click Save As to save it as a PDF.
- Download the encrypted file - this can only be opened with the password you set.
Top 4 PDF Encryption Software for Windows
6. Adobe Acrobat DC
Adobe Acrobat is the earliest and the best PDF software. It has many features available, especially the Pro version. You can annotate, edit, redact, protect, convert, optimize, print, and share PDFs with it. The only downside of this PDF encryption software is that it is way too expensive. If you are not a heavy PDF user, you can choose other cheaper Adobe Acrobat alternatives. PDF documents can be password-protected using Adobe Acrobat DC using these instructions:
- Open the PDF document that you wish to encrypt, and choose "Tools > Protect."
- You may either add an open password to prevent unauthorized access or a permissions password to prevent unauthorized file alteration.
- Enter the password or security mechanism you want to use, and click "Apply" to finish.
7. Foxit PDF Editor
Foxit PDF editor is also a great PDF encrypter too. It is also an all-in-one PDF solution and has every feature you need on PDFs. You can convert, edit, organize, comment, view, protect, and fill forms with it. Follow these steps if you choose Foxit PhantomPDF:
- Make sure to open the PDF file using Foxit PDF Editor.
- Select "Protect > Secure Document > Password Protect" from the drop-down menu. You may also enable password protection by going to File > Properties > Security and selecting the option from the drop-down list.
- Make your selections in the dialogue box that displays and enter the password you wish to use.
8. Nitro Pro
With Nitro PDF Professional, you can create, edit, organize, join and modify PDF files. It is also a PDF encryption software to help you password protect PDF files. Nitro Pro is popular among small businesses and you may consider using it.
- Pick the "Protect" tab in Nitro Pro, and then select "Password Security".
- Choose the activities for which you need a secret key; the phrase insurance comes in two forms: "open secret key" or "permission." Each time a PDF is opened, the user must input a secret word to proceed.
- If you choose the "authorizations" option, you will be able to use a secret word to allow anybody to see and comment on the document but keep the document's changes and markings hidden.
- Click 'Finish' to activate the password verification.
The open-source PDFEncrypt tool enables you to secure or encrypt PDF files without paying for additional software. It is a small tool that only has the encryption feature. If you have needs such as editing PDFs or annotating PDFs, then it shouldn't be your choice. Here are the steps for using it:
- Choose an unprotected PDF file that you wish to protect.
- Encrypted filenames for the destination are automatically produced.
- Click "Generate" to create a random alphanumeric password, or type in the desired password.
- Select Encrypt from the drop-down menu. File encryption and storage will be done at this location.
Why a PDF Encryption Software is Essential for Everyone
Background: Paperless workplaces have become more commonplace over the last few years. And PDF is more widely used than Word for formal documents such as digital contracts because PDF documents will always retain their original layout and formatting regardless of the device used to view them. Word documents, on the other hand, tend to look different based on how and where they're being viewed. As an example, even the simple act of uploading a Word document to Google Drive can mess up the alignment, fonts, and other attributes, which is not the case with PDFs.
However, this is also a problem because PDFs are widely distributed over the Internet and other channels. You may be concerned about the prospect of a data breach if you possess any PDF files containing sensitive information. As a direct result of this, it is becoming an increasingly important issue to take precautions to prevent the information and documents you possess from being misappropriated. If you're having sleepless nights and wondering about password protect PDF software, this article could be the answer to the questions clouding your mind. Let us look at some of the most effective and free PDF encryption software applications that will prevent unauthorized parties from viewing, editing, printing, or copying any of your PDF documents containing sensitive information.
Whatever PDF protector tool you choose, make sure to select one that's easy to work with. A system that allows both an open password and a permissions password is preferred over just restricting editing and access. UPDF wins hands down as it offers the finest password-setting services for PDF. You may test out the free edition of UPDF to see how it works.
- Top 12 Best Cross-Platform Productivity Apps 2023 to Streamline Workflow Efficiency
- 20 Best Productivity Tips and Hacks to Improve Workflow in 2023
- Exploring GPT-4 and Comparing its Features with ChatGPT
- 5 Most Useful Tips to Help You Work Faster
- PDF vs Word Docx - What are the Key Differences?
- Apple Events of the Whole Year of 2023 - Everything We Know
- Everything We Know About WWDC 2023 So Far
- How to Make Time Go Faster at Work in 5 Ways
- Google Bard Vs. Bing ChatGPT: The Battle for AI Search Engine Supremacy
- Top 10 Ways to Improve Work Performance