Are you editing a PDF document, but when you attempt to save the document, you keep seeing an error message? If you have made a lot of changes to the document, saving the file is the best way to preserve all the work that you have done, which is why this error can be particularly problematic.
If you are having trouble saving your PDF document after editing, the solutions in this guide will be very helpful. Let’s start with why you are unable to save the file.
- Part 1: Why Can’t I Save PDF After Editing?
- Part 2: Solutions to Fix Can’t Save PDF Error
- Part 3: All-in-One PDF Solution
- Part 4: Frequently Asked Questions
Part 1: Why Can’t I Save PDF After Editing?
There are several reasons why you may be unable to save your PDF document after editing. The following are the most common;
- This can happen if the PDF editor you are using is incompatible with the document or is in conflict with other processes on your system.
- You may also have altered some of the settings on the application you are using or on the document and therefore preventing certain processes such as saving.
- The document you are trying to edit is restricted and you may need to unlock it before you can save it.
- The PDF editing tool that you are using could have been blocked by your system. Perhaps the anti-virus software you are using is detected that the PDF editor is a threat.
- If you are using Adobe Acrobat, a problem with your Adobe account could prevent you from saving the file, particularly if you are saving it on the cloud.
- You may also be unable to save the file if the file itself is corrupt.
If you are trying to save the document in Adobe Acrobat, the following are some of the best solutions to try:
1. Update Adobe Acrobat
To prevent compatibility issues the first thing to do is to make sure that the version of Adobe on your computer is up to date.
The best way to do this is to reinstall Adobe Acrobat. Just go to the official website and click on the “Download Adobe Acrobat Reader” button to get the latest version. Once it is installed, restart your computer and then try to save the file again.
2. Reconfigure Storage Settings
You may also want to check the storage settings in Adobe Acrobat Reader to make sure that they didn’t change. Here’s how to check and change the storage settings;
Step 1: Open Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer and then open the PDF document that you want to save.
Step 2: Tap on “Edit” at the menu bar and choose “Preferences.”
Step 3: Click on “General” and ensure that “show online storage when saving files” is enabled. Save the changes and then try to save the file again.
3. Run Adobe Acrobat Reader as Administrator
Granting the program administrator privileges may fix the problem and allow you to save the file. Here’s how to do it;
Step 1: Use the file explorer on your computer to go to C:/Program Files(x86)/Adobe/Acrobat Reader DC/Reader
Step 2: Find the “AcroRd32.exe” file, right-click on it and choose “Properties.”
Step 3: Click on the “Compatibility” tab and select “Run this program as an administrator.”
Step 4: Click “OK” and the “Apply.” Now open the program to try and save the file.
4. Use Another PDF Reader
If you are still having trouble saving the file, you should consider using a different PDF reader or editor. There are many solutions that you can install on your computer that are just as good as Adobe Acrobat.
For example, UPDF is one of the best choices for processing PDF files on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. With it, you can manage and save your PDF files wherever you go.
One of the best Adobe Acrobat alternatives in the market is UPDF. A fairly uncomplicated solution, UPDF allows users to create, edit, convert, annotate and even reorganize their PDF documents. Its greatest advantage is that it has a very simple user interface, easy even for the beginner to use.
It has all the tools you would expect to find in a professional PDF management tool including:
- It is the ultimate PDF editor. With UPDF, you can make changes to all aspects of the PDF document. You can add and remove the text or even change the font size and color of the text. You can also use the built-in image editor to add, remove, rotate, crop, and reorder the images on the PDF.
- It is one of the best PDF converters in the business. You can convert PDF to editable formats including Word, Excel, and even image formats without losing the quality and formatting.
- It is the best PDF annotator, allowing you to add comments, stamps, highlights, and even signatures to the document.
- You can also use UPDF to completely reorganize the pages on the document. You can add and remove pages, rotate them, reorder them or even change the layout.
- UPDF also makes it very easy for you to open and read a PDF document. You can change the layout of the page to suit the device you are using and you can also enable dark mode to further enhance the reading experience.
Advantages of Choosing UPDF
- UPDF is easy to use, and there are no complicated settings to remember.
- It is easily accessible on all platforms, allowing you to open and read your PDF on any device including Android and iOS
- You can edit the PDF directly
- PDF conversion is highly accurate
- It can be used to open even the largest PDF documents.
If you are interested in the above features. You can download UPDF for a trial.
Why Can’t I Save a PDF on My Mac?
You may be unable to save a PDF on your Mac if the PDF reader or editor you are using is outdated and therefore incompatible with the version of macOS running on your computer. The best solution in this case is to update the PDF tool you are using.
How Do I Save a PDF in Windows 11?
In Windows 11, you can save any file in PDF format in a few simple steps. Just click on “File” in the main menu and select “Print.” Then in the dropdown menu under “Printer,” choose “Save as PDF.” Click “Save” and the file will be available in PDF format.
Why Can I Not Save a Word Document as a PDF on Mac?
You may be unable to save Word documents as PDF on Word for Mac if there are some Word add-ins that are active. These can interfere with the proper function of Word for Mac, preventing simple processes. You may therefore want to remove any add-ins and then try saving the file again.
Why Can’t I Save PDFs on my iPhone?
This can also be a compatibility issue. If you are using a PDF app like Adobe Reader, make sure that the app is compatible with the version of iOS on your device. You may need to update the app or update iOS. You may also be unable to save a PDF file on your iPhone if there is inadequate storage space on the device. Check the storage and delete some items to make room for the document.